As the new term approaches, please refer to this checklist to set up and maintain your course settings in your Grade Book. Additionally, watch this training video for a step-by-step walkthrough of these steps. Feel free to make changes throughout the semester.
Archive Grade Book
(Tools Tab > Archive Grade Books)
Archiving your Grade Book preserves a record of all student scores for your reference in the future. It does not delete sections, settings, or students from your Grade Book.
Break LMS Link
(Tools Tab > Reset Grade Books)
If you link your Hawkes section to your LMS, then we recommend that you break the LMS link after the course has wrapped up.
- Select the checkbox next to Remove Section LMS Associations
- Select the checkbox next to your section(s)
- Select Reset Grade Book
Create Your Sections
(Tools Tab > Manage Sections)
As a best practice, please make sure to always create new sections at the start of the term rather than reusing an old section.
- Select Create New Section
- Add section details including: Section Name, Section Start Date, Section End Date
- Check the boxes to prevent work from being carried in before the start date and/or accepted after the section end date if you do not want students to carry in work.
You can use the Course Copy Tool to copy over all settings, assignments, and templates to your new sections.
- Select Copy Settings From Another Section
- From the Section Drop-Down Menu, select one of your other sections
- Select No when prompted to copy Basic Settings
- Once you Save Changes, all previous section settings and assignments will be assigned to your new section
- All date-specific information is copied over with the assignments, so you will need to update your Lesson Due Dates and WebTest general settings.
**If you are a Course Admin in the Grade Book, then this is where you can also create sections for you and other instructors and push out master course shells. For example, if you set up a master section that has all templates applied that you would like other instructors to use, then once those individual instructors’ sections are set up you can click into your master section and select Apply Settings to Multiple Sections. You can then select the instructors and sections you would like to receive the settings & templates.
Hide Old Sections
(Tools Tab > Manage Sections)
Hiding old sections from the Grade Book preserves all student data including time on task information and assignment reviews but removes these sections from all other pages of the Grade Book except Manage Sections and Manage Students.
- Select the checkbox(es) next to your old sections
- Select Hide Section(s)
- Select Hide from Grade Book
Modify Lesson Due Dates
(Assignments Tab > Lesson Due Dates)
We recommend staggering your due dates so that no more than a couple lessons are due per day. This will help encourage students to stay on track.
- Create a copy of your previous semester Lesson Due Dates template
- Manage by Template → Select Your Previous Template → Copy Selected Items
- Select the copy to open it
- Rename the template
- Use Shift Multiple Due Dates to shift all due dates to the new term, then make any individual adjustments if necessary
- Save Changes, then select Copy to Another Section to apply it to your new section(s)
Modify the Dates & Settings of Your WebTest Assignments
(Assignments Tab > WebTests)
If you use the course copy tool, the WebTests assigned to your previous section will be assigned to your new section with the same settings.
- Select View by Section → Select A Section → General Settings
- Adjust your settings and Save Changes
- Alternatively, you can choose to unassign your WebTests until you are ready to update the settings and assigns them: Select All WebTests → Assign Tab → Select Your Spring Section(s) → Unassign
Link Your Hawkes Section to Your LMS
- Once your section is set up in Hawkes, if you use LMS integration, you can link your Hawkes section to your LMS course.
- You can follow the directions listed on our support page here or you can watch our training videos listed on our blog here.
If you have any questions or need assistance as you are setting up your sections, please contact us. We are happy to help!