Overview of Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that secures WebTest and WebTest Review within Hawkes. When you use Respondus LockDown Browser (RLB), you will be unable to capture screenshots, print, copy, screenshot, go to another URL, or access other applications. Once a WebTest or WebTest Review is opened within the LockDown Browser, you are locked into it until you submit it for grading or end your review.
1. Installing and Using Respondus LockDown Browser
You must install Respondus LDB to your computer before you can access any WebTests in Hawkes.
Please use the following links:
Alternatively, you can select the WebTest on your Hawkes To Do list, then select the blue ‘Respondus LockDown Browser’ link that displays on the blue bar on the page, which will provide you with the installation link:
Once installed, select the WebTest name, select ‘Launch LockDown Browser,’ then select ‘Start.’
2. Browser Compatibility Check
To ensure everything is set up correctly, please perform the following compatibility check. Sign in to your Hawkes Learning account and select a WebTest that has been set up to require RLB. Press Check Your Browser and follow the onscreen instructions.
If you have a compatible version of RLB installed, you will see:
If the Check My Browser link does not work, you will need to download and install a compatible version of RLB.
- Any issues encountered during testing do not cause any progress on the exam to be lost. All answers will be saved, and the test timer will stop. To resume the exam, please force shut down your computer and restart it to access the test again.
- Make sure your browser’s pop-up blocker is turned off.
- Make sure you have an updated version of Java installed and that Java is enabled.
- Remove any other version of Lockdown Browser that is already installed on the computer.
- Temporarily disable the computer’s spyware or anti-virus software.
- Spyware detection and anti-virus software may interfere with RLB. Examples of such software include AVG, Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, McAfee, etc.
- Temporarily disable the computer’s firewall.
- If the computer’s firewall needs to remain enabled, you will need to make sure that LockDown.exe application is allowed full access to the Internet, which means you may need to enter the LockDown Browser executable file into your firewall as an “Exception”.
- Close all open programs and applications. If using a PC access this through your Task Manager. If using a Mac access this through the Activity Monitor.
- Clear all cookies and cached files from the web browser.
- Make sure the internet connection is stable.
- RLB requires a constant Internet connection. If there’s any break in connectivity to the RLB server, the page contact could be lost, resulting in a white-screen.
- If the page freezes while attempting to load a question (“White Screen”), or the browser freezes when submitting your test, you may need to completely reboot your computer.
LockDown Browser System Requirements
|Operating Systems Windows: 10, 8, 7 |
Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
|Memory Windows: 2 GB RAM|
Mac: 512 MB RAM
|LockDown Browser Versions Windows: Version 2.0.2.02, June 12, 2017 or higher OS X: Version 2.0.2.01, July 5, 2017|
If you have any questions, please contact us!
1 (800) 426-9538 | chat.hawkeslearning.com